Friday 20 July 2012

Yola Diliza | Joburg Fashion & Style It Chirl

















































With Yola you guaranteed nothing but a bundle of witty punch lines and come-backs. All served straight up with pungent hints of laughter and giggles. O’ yes the only thing gurl minces is her stride not her words. She lays it out proper, a true case of I speak my mind therefore approach me with the mind over matter mantra handy! 

Turns out Yola is more than just that cray cray chirl about town, let her share with with you what she is about:

You are respectable lady who is brilliant at what she does and you always Boh-Ring-It chirl!
Respectable lady? I like the sound of that ;)

I am a 24 year old (turning 25 on 2 July) young Xhosa woman living, studying and working in Johannesburg. I am passionate about my career and I am inspired to continue to further my studies and gain vast working experience over the next few years, before I am able to start successfully building my own company. 

I love how clothes, hairstyles and jewellery allow me to express myself fully. I am a firm believer that, how you portray yourself is directly linked to how you see yourself as an individual and as much as I love fashion and trends, everything that I wear or any hairstyle that I choose is always true to me and I do this by always adding a personal touch that says “this is me” to every outfit. I like to command attention, not seek it. Whether I dress up or down, I always dress me!

What is it that you do and why?
I am a marketing consultant for a black female-owned company, Sinamva Consultants. I am enthralled and amazed by the marketing landscape both locally and globally. Globalisation has resulted in markets converging with an array of products, services and brands on offer worldwide. The power of branding and how it is achieved through advertising is remarkable and this is evident through the incredible success brands like Coke, Nike, Apple, and McDonald’s have achieved. Media and how it has evolved is an aspect of marketing that I am specifically captured by. 

There is so much more to advertising than the traditional mass mediums of T.V, radio, and print. Currently any open space can be used to advertise – branded vehicles, carousels at airports, escalators, lift doors, in-store banners and floor advertising to name a few. Experiential marketing is also on the rise with concept stores on the rise, which allow consumers to fully experience the product and there are elements of this interaction being incorporated into “regular” stores and shopping. What makes media all the more interesting is the dynamic way the different mediums incite different reactions in different markets, as well as the different roles they serve and what objectives are achieved from a ROI point of view.

I am studying at The AAA School of Advertising to complete my BA in Integrated Marketing Communications, majoring in Brand Management and Media Management and look forward to graduating in March 2013.

You are a big inspiration to someone reading this; may you please share with them a few words of wisdom they will forever cherish, and ignite their will power to keep on keeping on.
“Whether you think you can or you can’t, you are probably right. “

I don’t want to sound cliché but life is all about counting your blessings. There is always somebody who is far worse off than you so appreciating every opportunity you have been offered, no matter how small, is the first step in ensuring success. I say this because the moment you can appreciate what you have, you will be inspired to achieve more. 

These are exciting times for the youth because we are so exposed to the world and have so many options in terms of which careers we venture into. Prospects are endless and I, without a doubt, believe that once you find your niche and passion in life there is no other option except for you to excel. Life is a great teacher, there are times when we feel as though we are being tested, pushed to the brink, and become so overwhelmed that we feel hopeless and want to give up. Do not give up, ever! Learn from your failures and become stronger. 

I have several tattoos and one of them says “BELEIEVER” and people often ask me: “What do you believe in?”  My response is always the same: “Myself”. When you believe in yourself you arm yourself with the power to dream and eventually make those dreams a reality. 

The most unglamorous thing about fashion is?
Trend-whoring! Everybody loves a good trend, however nothing is more unpalatable than an outfit made up of a multitude of trends. It tends to look tacky and is not very exciting because there is no sense of personal style apparent when one dresses that way. 

 Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?
Had I been asked this at the beginning of the year, the answer may have been very different. As 2012 dawned and it hit home that this was my 25th year in this world I decided to let go of many things including anger, pain, disappointment (in myself and others) and fear. Fear was the most crippling factor in my life because it robbed me of my true self, the drive I had and lust for life that is inherent in me. Now that I have let go of these things, I feel more alive than I ever have.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?
Actions speak louder than words so I definitely want to have done more than I have said. The more I get, the more I want so push myself everyday to do something small that scares or challenges me so that I can translate this into every aspect of my life. 

The more I push myself, the more I realize what I am capable of. I dream big and my desire for my life is to achieve even more than I thought I ever would. As the years go by I want to keep surprising myself by going from strength to strength in every aspect of my life. I believe happiness and success are things you choose everyday of your life, they are relative and should never be measured against anyone else’s standards. Whatever I do, I want to be exceptional at it.

“Be strong. Be resilient. Be young. Be f*cking brilliant.”

SHAKE YOUR TITS, I LOVE YOUR WORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment