Thursday 7 March 2013

Gert Johan Coetzee x The Attcak Of The Tutus






























The ferocious attack of the tutus, if you followed GJC’s design brand from inception you will know that tutus were a very pivotal part of his design and brand. Every item he started with had some form of voluminous mesh lining, ball gown-eqsue vibe and strong influence from classical swan lake ballet production. From Bonang Matheba to Nonhle Thema those divas were all Gert’s ballerina guurls. Writing this I have a vision of Nonhle Thema wearing one of Gert’s design a mesh of purple and turquoise tutu-esque design at at INC. Club for her birthday party and Dark ‘n Lovely festivities.

FUCK those were the days!!! That was the height of Johannesburg nightlife scene.

So here we go again, GJC tutus revival. I chatted to his sometime last year at the SA Fashion Week Designs Capsule x Edgars Melrose Acrh launch (where the images were takne). He did say “YES THEY ARE BACK” by popular demand. Also mentioned that although people a drawn to the colourful ones and ombre vibe when it comes to buying customers almost always goes for the safe black one.

Why not take a leaf from Palesa Mhlaba style and fashion Black Book. This is how she wore her GJC tutu sometime last year at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Africa which was quite clever. For the first look she put the Thula Sindi A-line cut skirt underneath and wore the tutu on top. Second look she later reversed the roles and used the tutu a lining for the skirt. FUCKING GENIUS!

Jesus how many times have I used use the word “tutu” – honestly didn’t plan to write an essay regarding this but here we are.  When words come easy why stop, I hear you guys love it when I write a bit to put things in to context. Forgive me  as most often, I find myself digressing. Gggrrrr, I am flawed but  guurl don’t you get it twisted I know what I chirping about.

You can shop these pieces at Edgars Melrose Arch and Sandton City.

SHAKE YOUR TITS, I LOVE YOUR WORK!!!

1 comment: