Monday 18 June 2012

Qhawekazi Luthuli | Joburg's New Fashion & Style Breed












































Meet Qhawekazi Luthuli the new breed of fashion, style and social lifestyle around Johannesburg. One of the things I get to appreciate about Johannesburg is that there is always a new class of ‘cool’ popping here and there within the very territorial social circles. These are kinds of social circles when you see a new unknown figure becoming a fixture around, you will hear the Old Social Gerty’s go; “Now who is that? I always see her / him around, what do they do?” Nothing cutting, just the ush cocktail conversations that stems from curious minds with little to talk about but the surrounding setting at the moment in time.

These are the new kids on the block offering something refreshing, which comes with being young. The kind of freshness that at times is unwelcomed but also can be appreciated by the older kids who have ‘BEEEN’ in the situation for a ‘minute’. kuROUGH everyone is out to get what’s theirs!

First time I saw Qhawekazi Luthuli was at Mercedes Benz Fashion week. I quickly cut through the crowds with my camera and I pounced on her. I was like gurl; “What you doing sashaying around the crowds in Joburg. With that size 0 figure you should be somewhere in Europe shooting a high fashion editorial.” I know, I know body politics, I won’t dwell on to that subject that much but reality is that she has a stunning size 0 figure that (un)fortunately sells to big blue chirp modelling contracts.

So I thought let me get to know what this chirl is about;

You Boh-Ring-It Chirl
 Ahh.. Thank you for that. I guess that's what comes with being yourself.

What is it that you do and why
Currently, I'm still in school with aspirations of being an architect. 

You are a biggest inspiration to someone reading this; may you please share with them a few words of wisdom they will forever cherish, and ignite their will power to keep on keeping on:
This world is filled with constrains that restrict you from being you. The only way to deal with this ‘unfree’ world is to become so free that your very own existence,  is an act of rebellion and love your flaws and feel more comfortable around people who have them. You’re made entirely of flaws; they're stitched together with good intentions.


The most unglamorous thing about fashion is
When people play it safe with fashion and restrict themselves. I rate that the glamour comes from being different and experimenting with fashion. 

Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
I think insanity and creativity are pretty closely related. Most creativity comes in a mind burdened by insanity. The last time I think I saw insanity in creativity was when I saw am exhibition by Jodi Bieber, "A Weapon of War". You must insane to see creativity in people's sadness and composing beauty in a photograph that separates it from a snapshot to a photograph.

When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breathing?
It was when I heard good news. The excitement put the world to standstill and for a second it was just me. I could hear every breath, exhaling my relief and happiness. U

What do you love? Have any of your recent actions openly expressed this love?
I love my family and close friends. Just a simple reminder of that I love them, is the greatest expression I can do.

SHAKE YOUR TITS I LOVE YOUR WORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment