Tuesday 19 March 2013

Mahlatse James Modiba | Fashion & Style IT Chirl x According To Jerri





















































MahlatseJames Modiaba aka MJ. He is sassy, his sassiness in more of an unspoken attitude but not loud. He is creative and reserved in his own special way. He listens and speaks only when spoken too and has something of value to add. He just does his own thing and his style in unpredictable and always a mesh everything rolled up in to one fierce look. He speaks his truth. One of my found memories of me and James involves an incidental night out that ended up with a mesh up of Ricki Lake and Oprah Winfrey session at Mc Donald’s Cafe in the AMs. The last time I ever ate McDees that is it for now... Above all and more MJ also has a capsule men’s clothing line called LUCKY BOY

Should you ever wondered WHO THE HELL IS HE? Well let’s find out what Miss Thang is about!
 





















































1. You are respectable someBODY who is brilliant at what she does and you always boh-ring-it chirl.
Why, thank you mfazi. I only ever ALWAYS try.

2. How would you describe yourself in one word?
...innovative...

3. What is it that you do and why?
I am a fashion journalist / blogger and a creative consultant. The latter is really fancy talk for assuming many roles within the fashion industry. You name it, I have done it. I suppose it has an awful lot to do with always having my fingers in many dips.

4. You are a biggest inspiration to someone reading this; may you please share with them a few words of wisdom they will forever cherish, and ignite their will power to keep on keeping on:
Oh there isn't much wisdom in these parts. But on the real though; my mantra is very simple: Do you. Wear your crazy on your sleeve and be nice about it. The pie is way too big.

5. Has there been a defining moment in your life that made you decide to take the direction in life that you did?
My decision making relies plenty on defining moments. I guess when I finally came to terms with the need to grow the hell up and establish a personal brand, fashion took my call. I remember my relationship with the industry in the earlier days being very fluid. It just felt right.
 


























6. Your STRICTLY two favourite South African bloggers?
It has to be Trevor Stuurman for the quality of his images and Malibongwe Tyilo for his opinionated posts.

7. Give me names of the three unsung heroes of South Africa’s fashion, style and trends playground – fresh faces, underdogs and preferably people I don’t know.
... But guuurl, you know everyone I know. As much I would to say dreamy things like owing credit to an old aunt of my late Mother's and a college friend who wore the hell out of sequins, it ain't so. I get inspired by people whose names I do not know. People I only ever get to see in passing for all of 15 seconds.

8. Which country or city in the world do you think would allow you to be truly YOU?
Right here in Joho. This city keeps grooming me into becoming the type of fashion person I have always wanted to be. There is nothing quite like the pace here, I live for the thrill.
  



















































9. If you were written about in the newspaper, on the front page, what would the headline say?
Front page? Me? "There he goes again" with regards to what I wear.

10. What are your views on people who do not like to pay for others knowledge and skills on an area of their specialty?
Chirl, I am so over people who beg and bribe for services and get all cross eyed when it is time to pay. As a matter of fact, I think very little of those people because they always come back try to squeeze some more out of you. It actually pisses me off.





















































11. When do you stop doing things for free and start talking money?
I slap quotes left right and centre all the time. Hahaha Ok, I kid, but if a company or prospect client approaches me, I would like to believe that they have their tales and requirements in order, therefore willing to pay for my services. Sometimes though, I find myself wanting to align with a brand so much that I would even cut off a certain percentage of my usual fee. It happens.

12. South African bloggers; what is it that they doing completely wrong?
A severe lack of personality and opinion. It grinds my tits so bad when a person claims to be a blogger, yet nothing sets them apart from the pack. Nothing is as sad as wasting time reading an ill-informed post.

13. Do you buy clothing items based on the fact that you saw a designer wearing a loaned designer outfit? Does it matter, does it make a difference?
Honey, I buy clothes because I know I could rock 'em crazy. I am not disputing the few mishaps in the past, but my reasons to flock out money on clothes is based solely on a selfish desire to wear them as individual as possible.

14. The most unglamorous thing about fashion is?
The amount of dirty work we get to do behind the scenes for those utterly glamorous moments.
 






















































Should you like to get in touch with MJ:
TWEET: @MahlatseJ
WORK: Email


SHAKE YOUR TITS, I LOVE YOUR WORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment